Public Works Department
21 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam
The Northcote Teachers’ Training College between Sassoon Road and Victoria Road was built in 1962 to relocate and expand training facilities for teachers based on broader efforts to increase available school programmes in Hong Kong. It was initially established in 1939 in Sai Ying Pun, then merged with four other educational institutions (Grantham College of Education, Sir Robert Black College of Education, the Hong Kong Technical Teachers’ College, and the Institute of Languages in Education) to form the Hong Kong Institute of Education (HKIEd) in 1994. It is known as the Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK) today that trains prospective teachers to earn formal degrees for teaching.
In the design process for the campus, the designers took under consideration the necessity of adequate training facilities for students as much as possible. The outcome was a campus divided into four main sections: the classroom block, hostel block, wardens’ flats, and caretakers’ quarters. The classroom block accommodated most of the main working facilities including the classrooms, administrative offices, library, tutorial rooms, as well as recreational and dining areas. The other three blocks were for housing their respective tenants, with the students in the hostel block, wardens in the wardens’ block, and janitorial staff in the caretakers’ quarters. The designers also put effort into the more detailed aspects of landscape design by planting plots of shrubbery and trees throughout the campus. Northcote College occupied 21 Sassoon Road from 1962 to 1971 and today, it occupies the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong.