179 Third St, Shek Tong Tsui
St. Louis Industrial School is also one of the many schools in Hong Kong with a religious background. It was initially founded in 1864 as a trade and technical school with a Catholic Mission, but the Central and West Wings of the school that are exhibited in this page were constructed in 1951. The building for the school required a dignified appearance that befitted its Salesian background, convenient arrangement, and apt ventilation and natural light for its students. Some other factors affecting the design are the site’s varied elevations and shape due to its location on Third Street in Sai Ying Pun. Since the street follows a right-angle curve, the building consequently mimics an L-shaped structure.
Seen from the courtyard side of the building, the full five stories of the building are visible, with the first three levels covered with square-shaped tiered glass as the windows and the uppermost level distinguishing itself from others with conventional window openings. The length of the building is also divided by the lift hall, which is also the point that forms the right angle of the L-shaped building. This particular hall rises above the left and east classroom wings to its sides in order to give a vertical emphasis as the central portion of the school.